Bird Band Data
Bird Bands provide valuable information about bird movement and life span. A leg band is imprinted with an individual number or symbol. Once the leg band is affixed, the bird identified by this number or symbol.
Frequently Asked Questions|
What do I do if I find a banded bird?
Recovering a banded bird gives us lots of valuable information: migration and way of life, the bird's life span, cause of death, etc. If you catch a healthy bird, record all the letters, numbers, symbols on the band and then release the bird, band intact. If the bird is injured, get in touch with the nearest wildlife protection center. If the bird is dead, remove the band.
- 3 Ways to Report Bird Bands
- Online: www.reportband.gov
- Why report bird bands on the web?
- get immediate feedback
- receive email confirmation
- report anytime from anywhere in the world
- Call toll free: 1-800-327-BAND
- Write: Bird Banding Laboratory, 12100 Beech Forest Road, Laurel, MD 20708